Saturday, June 29, 2013

Just a little ELF haul/review

Happy, happy Saturday!!


Good afternoon my lovelies!!

I was out at target the other day buying pictures for my beauty room and somehow became lost and ended up in the makeup?!! How did that happen? Anywho, I thought I would share some ELF items I picked up, some which I love more than others.

 The Products
In the picture from let to right are the following: clarifying pressed powder in light beige, studio blush in pink passion, studio lip exfoliator, studio eyebrow kit, stick blush in pink lemonade, studio contouring blush and bronzer in St. Lucia, shimmering facial whip. Bottom row (tools) left to right: studio mascara and shadow shield, studio eyeshadow "C" brush (not pictured), studio contour brush, studio fan brush, and studio small stipple brush.



I will start by telling you the product/s I didn't care for: dum dum dummm- the clarifying pressed powder. I found it to be quite chalky. It was matte which was good but when I applied it I felt it didn't blend well into my skin, kinda just sat on top with a heavy feel. I had to use this very sparingly because it was pigmented (lightly) and had a cake-y look. My middle of the road feels were the fan brush and the "C" brush. I didn't not like them I just felt they were like any other brush. Though the fan brush bristles were thin, I would have liked to see a sturdier splay. The contour brush did the job to pack on the color but I had to  use my Sonia Kashuk brush to blend out the colors. What did I love? My most favorite pick had to be the lip exfoliator! This little thing is FAN-TAB-U-LOUS!!!! I use it every single day. It is a sweet, brown sugary type scrub in the shape of lipstick and you just swirl it over you lips and can just watch the skin slough off. You then just wipe off the lips and are left with baby smooth lips that are ready for product!! The blushes were good but my favorite was the cheapest of the bunch. The stick blush in pink lemonade. I have been using this and it packs on great color and it's multi functional. I used it on my cheeks, lips, and eyes! The bronzer was a nice shade for me--a little powdery but I liked it all the same. The shimmering facial whip was another amazing product, it is also a dupe for Benefit's High Beam. A little went a very long way so use sparingly or you will look like a disco ball! The mascara/shadow shield works great too, prior to this buy I would use business cards and in a pinch have used box tops! The eyebrow kit was okay for me, I didn't like the wax part of it but the powder worked nicely and fit my shade well.

The Swatches
From left to right: Studio blush in pink passion, contouring blush and bronzer in St. Lucia (swatch 2&3), stick blush in pink lemonade, and shimmering facial whip. The blush in pink passion was matte, the contouring duo had a satin sheen/lightly shimmer finish, blush stick was pearlescent and the shimmering facial whip tells you in the name-Shimmer, shimmer and even more shimmer!

The Look

I started by priming my face with Too Faced primed and poreless and dotting my favorite foundation at the moment Revlon's colorstay whipped in Buff all over my face using a Real Techniques buffing brush to blend it in. I used Nyx concealer under my eyes setting it with the Elf clarifying pressed powder. On my eyes I started out with my UD primer potion over my entire lid and under my lower lash line. I then used the stick blush pink lemonade as a base and platted it solely on the lid. Then using the blush part of St. Lucia I patted that over the stick blush. Using the bronzer portion of St. Lucia I stamped it into my outer V and blended it up through the crease. I also used the blush of St. Lucia slightly above the bronzer as a gradient and blended it all out. I then took the bronzer with a push liner brush and pulled it under my lower lash line and smudged it out. I lined my lids with Nyx slide-on glide on pencil in brown perfection and used it in my waterline as well. Applied mascara and lashes. To finish the look out I used the St. Lucia bronzer in the hollow of my cheeks and the blush stick on the outer side of my cheeks blending it in with my fingers, topping it with the St. Lucia powder blush to set it. I then used the highlight very sparingly squeezing some out on my finger and dotting it onto the top of my cheek bones and blended it out. Be careful here or you will look as bright as a 70's disco ball!! I pre-moisturized my lips with balm and applied the blush stick to my lips by patting it on and blending with my finger. It left a nice pink stain to them. I filled in my brows and set them in place with my Maybelline Great Lash clear mascara. Using a fluffy soft powder brush I lightly-and I mean lightly dusted the clarifying pressed powder in my T-zone. And voila! The look is complete!





Conclusion

When I first started this look all I could think was what am I doing- will this work? It took a while to get the look the way I liked on my eyes. You need to build and blend over and over and over again. The colors work well together-heck they are a blush/bronzer duo they also had a nice color payoff. You just have to watch out when you put a pink color like that onto your eyes it can backfire and you can look either sick or like you have an eye infection. YUCK!! Overall I really liked the way it came out, it was a nice daytime/work look. The colors were not dark enough for a night look but if you grab a nice chocolate brown and pop it in the V it could work nicely. The color turnout on the lips was nice but MAN it was drying!! But I expected it would be. I chose to use the products multi-purposely so you could get a look in a money pinch or if you don't have many products on hand but still wanted to look put together. Best thing about this line is they are so inexpensive!! The studio line is $3 and the highlight and blush stick were just $1!!! Can't beat that! If you are not familiar with ELF check out their website at www.eyeslipsface.com. You can find some really great products at rock bottom prices!

What I picked up for my beauty room
I adore this picture! It was $19.99 at Target. It fits me soo well, hearts are my favorite shape and purple is my favorite color. So to find a picture with both together just screams BUY ME!!! I hope this was helpful! Keep an eye out for my Smashbox Heat Wave palette review/look and my June favorites!
Until next time!!

<3
Jess

No comments:

Post a Comment